RBS Comeback Programme 2019
Start date: September 2019
Programme: 5 month paid placement (Returners to Financial Services Scotland Programme)
If you’ve been taking time out of your career, RBS 2019 Comeback Programme is a chance to take on a paid work placement in their Technology or Data & Analytics business, giving you useful coaching and an array of networking opportunities while bringing your experience right up to date.
The five month paid placement starts in September 2019 in partnership with Women Returners, and is part of the cross company Returners to Financial Services Scotland Programme.
Technology and Data & Analytics are both incredibly varied and busy areas of their business, and being here will highlight a wealth of potential opportunities, and may lead to the opportunity to apply for a permanent role. The placements are designed to provide a work environment that enables you to balance a successful career and life balance, and are based at their prestigious Gogarburn campus close to Edinburgh airport.
What you’ll do
RBS is offering hands-on experience, in a business area responsible for transforming the way they work across the bank. Depending on your background there three possible returnships available, across agile, technology, and data.
Your experiences on the programme might include:
- Undergoing training to become a leading scrum master as one of their agile returners
- Driving continuous improvement, making sure the development team understands agile practices, and the scrum framework and values
- Coaching and developing a team, increasing productivity, and delivering frequency and quality
- Joining one of the most innovative areas of the bank as one of their technology or data returners, supporting one of their many exciting programmes from day one
- Once up and running, leading and contribute to best practice for application and software development lifecycles, defining technical strategy and advising on product roadmaps to achieve goals
- Refreshing your skills to work in data engineering or data lineage, if you have a background working in data
As part of the Comeback Programme you’ll be supported with a range of training opportunities, as well as personalised and group coaching and seminars. You’ll have a dedicated mentor during the programme, and will have the opportunity to join networking events with their employee-led networks to gain exposure to senior leaders, and broaden your internal connections. Coaching is delivered centrally, so you’ll benefit from a large supportive peer network.
Alongside the technical training specific to your placement, you’ll also receive coaching support from Women Returners to help you to transition successfully back into the workplace.
The skills you’ll need
To be eligible to apply you’ll need to have been out of work for at least 18 months by the time the programme starts in September 2019, and they’re looking for people who have worked as a functional expert or as a manager at a senior level in a technology, data or IT environment.
For the agile returnship, you’ll have:
- Project management, change or transformation experience in a technology or IT environment, with a qualification such as Prince 2, Lean, or ideally agile
- Excellent people skills and a passion for continuous improvement
- Strong stakeholder management skills with a proven history of working collaboratively with stakeholders, particularly in senior management
A basic understanding of the agile manifesto and principles, scrum adoption, and modern development practices and tools would also be welcome.
Technical returners will bring:
- A software engineering background, with experience in developing applications, and an understanding of the development lifecycle, including design, test and build stages
- Or a data background, with a good understanding of data analytics, data engineering, or data architecture
- Knowledge of using industry recognised frameworks and development tools
Experience in project working and commercial development processes would also be a bonus, particularly if you’ve worked with agile methodologies.
At RBS, they want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, they’ll do everything they can to support you. As part of this commitment, they offer flexible working options for some of their roles – find out more.
How to apply
To apply to RBS, please click here.
The closing date has been extended to 12 May 2019.
With any questions relating specifically to RBS, please email email@example.com
With any questions relating to the overall programme, please email Hazel@womenreturners.com