Mearns & Company Returner Programme
Mearns & Company is partnering with Women Returners on this cross company Returners to Financial Services Scotland Programme funded by the Scottish Government. They have a 3 month paid Compliance Specialist role available, based in their Edinburgh office in Leith.
They are looking for a professional with experience in a financial services compliance environment who can proactively assist their Service Delivery Manager with outstanding actions, projects and the implementation of improved practices.
How you will benefit from the programme
You will be working in a compliance function ensuring and providing evidence that the company is adhering to industry regulations by monitoring and testing various samples of the business. This function helps management ensure the smooth and efficient running of the company, but more importantly, it maintains the organisation’s integrity and reputation. The role will report to the Service Delivery Manager and will be supported by an external Compliance Adviser. Therefore up-to-date technical knowledge is less important than experience of working in a compliance environment, the ability to be proactive in learning about the Company, its compliance obligations and what can be improved.
Mearns & Company are a small company (30 people), and the role-holder will be a key part of the team, have access to senior management and be able to influence at all levels.
This is a full-time, 3 month project role (35 hours, 9am-5pm), but Mearns & Company are happy to discuss flexible or part-time hours for the right candidate.
As part of the induction process you will be assigned an onboarding ‘buddy’, in addition to a mentor. You will also receive coaching support from Women Returners to help you transition successfully back into the workplace. As coaching support will be delivered centrally, you will benefit from a supportive peer network.
- Work closely with the Service Delivery Manager and their external compliance adviser to ensure that compliance recommendations are reviewed and actioned where agreed by the Managing Director (Compliance Oversight Function).
- Compliance procedures are reviewed, maintained and followed by the firm.
- New compliance procedures and procedural changes are implemented.
- Compliance reporting assistance is provided.
- Ad-hoc projects are delivered as agreed.
Who are they looking for?
Key skills and attributes
- Is proactive in following or defining improvements to working practices.
- Always ensures Mearns & Company’s compliance responsibilities are maintained in own outputs and those of the firm.
- Proven ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of staff.
- Ability to present clear written work.
- Able to keep calm under pressure and focus on a positive solution.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Relevant compliance experience in a financial services environment.
- Able to use MS Office.
- Experience of working with client databases and document management systems an advantage.
- CII qualifications.
About Mearns & Company
Mearns & Company are award-winning chartered financial planners who take pride in providing the highest quality advice to their clients. Their working environment is professional and supportive. They regularly receive feedback that theirs is one of the most welcoming environments people have worked in. There is a diverse workforce both in terms of gender and nationalities. Mearns & Company have achieved the IiP Gold Award and every employee plays a valued and influential role in their future.
Please apply with your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date is 4th February 2018.
Please contact Catherine Bell on this email with any specific queries regarding this role.
If you have any questions on the programme itself please contact email@example.com