Bridging the Gap
Location: Birmingham, Bedford, Guildford, Leeds, Manchester, Swavesey (Cambridgeshire)
Start date: 19th September 2019
Programme: 6 month returnship
Your New Role – ‘Bridging the Gap’
If you are an experienced professional who has been out of work for 2 or more years and are looking to return to the work place and get your career back on track then this could be a perfect opportunity for you. Highways England has a range of opportunities available, where you will be able to become completely integrated into a team within the organisation and build up any lost confidence, brush off those management skills or gain some new ones. This is the third year of running this successful programme. It will give you a great experience working for a company that values you as an individual and wants to help you move forward, whilst also allowing the organisation to benefit from all your previous experience gained prior to your career break.
About the Programme
Highways England has a number of roles paying between £33,346 and £44,208 available. Don’t worry if you don’t have the specific experience in your chosen field or area of interest. They are looking for talented individuals who share their values and behaviours and are able to transfer their skills to be successful in a new role with support. Roles available include:
- Assistant Project Managers (Leeds, Bedford and Swavesey)
- Strong communication and team working ethos to support some of the largest infrastructure projects across England, by ensuring project reports are kept up-to-date and accurate
- Project Sponsors (Birmingham and Manchester)
- Strong communication skills to be able to write reports and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders and look at the strategic development of projects
- Contract and Commercial Manager (Birmingham)
- Analytical skills to be able to review financial bids for IT contracts and manage contracts and licences
- Business Services Manager (Guildford)
- Organised and able to communicate across a variety of levels to support the business with workforce planning and customer correspondence
- Quality Assurance (Bedford)
- Communication and organisation skills with the ability to support the Head of Profession and the Benefits Management Lead providing an independent assurance function.
- Knowledge Manager (Birmingham)
- Strong collaboration, communication and organisation skills to develop and improve policies and processes to support the effective delivery of the capital investment portfolio.
All roles are initially offered on a six month fixed term contract but could lead to further opportunities both permanent or interim. 95% of those who have joined previous programmes have remained with Highways England beyond six months.
They will provide you with a supportive line manager, a structured coaching programme from Women Returners and a mentor/buddy to help you succeed.
Worried that only 9am-5pm positions exist? Don’t be! Highways England is a flexible working organisation. They understand that life is important and there is a reason not everyone can commit to these hours and they are open to a variety of working options.
To be successful
If you can demonstrate how you:
- put safety first
- take ownership of your work
- work effectively in a team
- show passion for what you do
- show integrity in how you do it
then you could be a great fit for the programme. Remember, this doesn’t have to be in a purely work environment.
A bit about Highways England
It’s an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as they deliver £15 billion of investment in England’s motorways and A roads – boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. That’s why they’re so grateful to their c. 5,500 employees around the country. When you work with them, you’re helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
Want to know more?
If you’re ready to start your return-to-work journey with Highways England, then visit this link to find out more about the roles available and to apply.
Don’t forget to clearly show your career break on your CV as well as what you’ve been doing and why you’d like to start your next chapter as part of the Highways England Returners Programme.
The closing date for applications is 19th June 2019 with interviews planned late June/early July and a planned start date of 19th September 2019.
To hear from previous returners at Highways England visit https://youtu.be/KIW_wrVEHuE
If you have any queries, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why you should join Highways England
Highways England believes in a connected country. To achieve this, they are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing. They’re proud that as an organisation they are continually striving to do better and they actively encourage and support their colleagues to do the same with their careers.