Head of Legal
This is a supported hire position: a successful candidate who has taken a career break of 2+ years will receive coaching support through the transition period from Women Returners.
GENMED is a specialist provider of vendor neutral managed services to the NHS. Since 2014, Genmed’s revenues have increased 275% – a reflection of the popularity and adoption of managed services in the NHS – with revenues of £38.6 million posted in its last financial year ending March 31, 2018. Genmed now works for over 40 NHS Trusts and Health Boards throughout the United Kingdom managing over 220 contracts worth in excess of £510 million.
Genmed are seeking a Head of Legal as Sole Legal Counsel to act as a key member of the senior team. As the CEO is relinquishing a number of his responsibilities, the Head of Legal will take on a varied and interesting role, overseeing the end to end process from bid to award to contract. They will also be taking responsibility for negotiating, drafting and reviewing a wide range of public sector, commercial and bespoke contracts with suppliers and customers.
Role and Responsibilities
This role will oversee contract management and variations where required, managing a small team of documentation specialists. You will assist the CEO in the development of alliances, joint ventures, strategic partnerships and documentation for new managed service models. Upholding and updating processes and procedures, you will ensure the flow of correct information to the various parts of the organisation for the execution and implementation of Genmed managed services. You will assist the company on a wide range of other legal matters including compliance, data protection and employment/HR issues.
- Work closely with Divisional Heads to monitor pipeline business and support each contract implementation project from initial sales meeting to contract sign off to ensure a smooth and efficient customer experience.
- Represent the Contracts Department in customer, supplier and internal meetings, participating in negotiations and discussions with customers and suppliers involving;
- Analysis of legal and commercial risks and proposing appropriate solutions and options for mitigation.
- Ensuring contractual obligations are understood by the rest of the business and provide support to ensure that those obligations are delivered and performed.
- Contract drafting using a variety of templates specific to Genmed business as well as non-standard and standard NHS forms of contract.
- Lead and manage the full portfolio of contracts from:
- Initiation – assisting the Divisional Heads with any public or private sector tender bid process, preparing amendments and variations if required to contract documentation provided as part of the Invitation to Tender and ensuring compliance with government best practice.
- Agreement – drafting or reviewing contracts or novations, providing amendments and negotiating with customers and suppliers to agree terms on all contracts.
- Supplier management – support Divisional Heads in ensuring adherence to contracts during their lifetime.
- Variation, renewal, expiration – ensuring that contracts are managed in an orderly way through to expiration, managing variations, exits, renewals or subsequent tenders.
- Negotiation- lead the development of robust supplier arrangements.
- A UK qualified solicitor or chartered legal executive with at least five years PQE with experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts.
- Good experience of contract negotiation and in-depth knowledge of contract law and risk.
- In-house experience, knowledge of the NHS healthcare market and/or familiarity with tender related activities would be desirable but not essential.
A competitive salary plus company car, phone, laptop, healthcare and pension (following six months probation).
Flexible working can also be considered.
Please send your CV and covering letter (mentioning Women Returners) to Julie King (email@example.com). The closing date for applications is 10 May.