Burness Paull Returner Programme
Programme: 16 week returnship programme (part of Finance, Legal and FinTech programme)
Burness Paull is delighted to partner with Women Returners and participate in this returner programme funded by the Scottish Government with the aim of supporting women back into the workplace. Joining the Burness Paull team will provide the opportunity to refresh your skills and update your knowledge. You will benefit from coaching support from Women Returners, an internal mentor to guide you along the way and a buddy for your day to day questions. As part of the programme you will also have the support of a cohort of like-minded women on the same journey as you. Following successful completion of the programme, Burness Paull are committed to offering on-going employment which meets their business needs.
Burness Paull are recruiting into a range of fee-earning and business services roles across the firm and will accept applications from women who are seeking to return to work after a minimum 12 month career break.
About Burness Paull
Burness Paull is one of Scotland’s premier law firms with offices across Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow, serving clients in Scotland, the UK and globally. They have over 500 people and have worked on deals in more than 60 jurisdictions. They have one goal – to be the Best Scottish Law Firm in the World.
Bids and Improvement Assistant – Edinburgh
Burness Paull are looking for a commercially minded Bids & Business Improvement Assistant to work within the Business Development & Marketing department in the Edinburgh office.
With support from the Bids Manager this role will project manage the firm’s response to bids/tenders, facilitate discussion on the firm’s strategy to the bid and advise on appropriate document style and structure. This role will also be expected to write non-technical content and facilitate and advise on approach to pitch presentations as well as coordinating inputs from senior lawyers whilst ensuring internal deadlines are met.
The successful candidate will be highly organised with an ability to manage and prioritise their own workload. Although previous experience in business development within professional services would be an advantage, it is not essential as training and support will be provided.
Receptionist – Edinburgh
Burness Paull are looking to recruit a Receptionist within the facilities team in the Edinburgh office. This is a part-time role with working hours of Monday-Thursday 2pm-6pm. This role is a fixed term 9 month contract.
This role will meet and greet clients in a friendly and professional manner, provide standard health and safety guidelines and ensure the relevant Burness Paull contact is notified promptly of their arrival. The receptionist will log all external visitor arrivals and departures and will co-ordinate the meeting room diary ensuring that all requirements for meetings/seminars/lunches/functions are noted and communicated to the relevant departments. This role will also be responsible for answering incoming calls, passing through directly all calls with the exception of partners and director’s calls which should be announced and for booking firm travel including flights, trains and hotel accommodation.
Candidates should have previous receptionist experience.
Professional Support Lawyer (PSL) – Banking and Funds – Edinburgh or Glasgow
Burness Paull are looking to recruit a senior and experienced Professional Support Lawyer for the Banking & Funds division.
This role will be responsible for all knowledge management aspects of banking law and the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Produce, update and maintain precedents, client advice notes and guidance notes relevant to the Banking team for the firm’s knowledge management system (Kman).
- Ensure that the Banking Kman section is structured and managed in an appropriate and helpful way for fee earners to access the information and that all documents comply with the firm’s house style.
- Capture relevant know-how from the fee earners, and share with the rest of the team and firm, as appropriate, including drafting into Kman documents or dissemination in training.
- Encourage and facilitate the sharing of Know-how throughout the Banking team.
- Create, implement and supervise the Banking team’s internal training programmes, including division wide-training, training for junior assistants and training for trainees. This will involve identifying training needs, delivering sessions personally and coordinating speakers for other sessions.
- Attend and participate in regular meetings with the PSL team to discuss and implement current initiatives and support the firm-wide knowledge management needs.
Solicitor/Senior Solicitor (1-4 yrs PQE), Property (full time) – Edinburgh
Burness Paull are looking to recruit a Solicitor/Senior Solicitor for the Property division. Working within their top ranked commercial property team and working on some of the largest deals in the market.
This role will work with the partner and wider team to develop and cement relationship with key clients, as such they are looking for candidates who are:
- recognised as having excellent, in-depth, technical expertise in commercial property
- excellent knowledge of the practice of property transactions
- have worked on housebuilding transactions within a large, or mid-sized Scottish firm would be a benefit but is not essential
- will provide clients with clear, concise, pragmatic, commercial legal advice and guidance
- will focus on providing the very best service and will be seen as a “trusted adviser”
- understand the client’s needs and what they’re looking for from their legal adviser
Each of these roles represent a great opportunity to join a leading team in a successful, growing firm. In exchange, Burness Paull look for individuals with style, ambition, innovation, passion and focus.
How to apply:
If the Burness Paull Returner Programme sounds like a good fit for you, your skills and experience then please apply with CV to the website https://careers.burnesspaull.com/vacancies.aspx
Closing date for applications is 30 September at 23.59 extended).
If you have any queries relating specifically Burness Paull, please contact Michelle.Scott@burnesspaull.com
With any queries relating to the overall programme, please email Hazel@womenreturners.com