BlackRock Returner Programme
BlackRock is a global leader in investment management, risk management and advisory services for institutional and retail clients.
BlackRock is delighted to partner Women Returners on this cross-company Returners to Financial Services Scotland Programme funded by the Scottish Government and has a number of 3 month paid placements available in Edinburgh.
How will you benefit from the programme?
You will receive internal mentoring, together with coaching support from Women Returners to help you to transition successfully back into the workplace. As coaching support will be delivered centrally, you will benefit from a large supportive peer network.
- A dedicated mentor who will provide advice during the programme
- Broaden your professional networks and develop new relationships
- Meet with other programme participants and people in your respective business area
- Learn about business and regulatory changes in the financial services industry
- This role provides you with the opportunity to develop your knowledge and understanding of a vast array of BlackRock departments as well as external suppliers
Who are they looking for?
BlackRock has opportunities in a variety of areas in the business:
The Investment Accounting Group (IAG) provides accurate and timely regulatory compliant investment accounting and regulatory data services to insurance clients who have outsourced their accounting function to BlackRock. The provision of services by the IAG team includes the oversight of monthly accounting packages and support schedules including regulatory returns for Solvency II and Lloyd’s data.
Within IAG the Account Manager is the trusted advisor, problem solver and business partner to IAG clients. They are the key point of contact and are charged with driving and deepening the relationship’s over time. The Investment Accountants are more directly focused on working with our clients and internal groups to deliver reporting in line with their agreed accounting services. All of the team are expected to be highly focused on understanding the needs and evolving priorities of insurance accounting clients, and providing investment process solutions including accounting & regulatory disclosure reporting which leverage the capabilities of other parts of the BlackRock organisation.
This role will likely initially focus on both client Accounting Services and Investment Accounting.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of BlackRock’s capabilities, products and services for insurance companies.
- Develop and manage investment reporting for clients and prospects, and assist with, and inform, the implementation of client mandates.
- Support business growth with a specific focus on the EMEA region, partnering with other BlackRock teams.
- Keep abreast of the implications of the accounting and regulatory frameworks on decisions made by insurance companies, including IFRS 9 and Solvency II, and participate in presentations to clients and prospects.
They are looking for people who are:
- Inclusive: You truly believe that “together is better”.
- Self-reliant: You will have plenty of help but, ultimately, you own your own outcomes.
- Exacting: “Good enough” is simply not good enough.
- Passionate: You feel personal ownership for the work you do and an aspiration to be better.
- Open: You value and respect input from others.
- ‘Tech-savvy’: You are comfortable in analysing situations and developing data, process & systems solutions.
What you should have:
- A general understanding of the operation and applicability of accounting and regulatory standards and how to account for investments. Knowledge of insurance company accounting and a professional accountancy qualification is desirable but not essential.
- The ability to build and effectively manage client relationships whilst delivering the client mandate.
- Strong project management and planning skills with the ability to lead and deliver initiatives and balance multiple tasks without losing sight of overall objectives and deadlines.
- Strong people management skills including guiding and mentoring team members
- Flexible and enjoy working in a dynamic, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office products – Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
Global Investment Operations (GIO) are responsible for all aspects of the transaction lifecycle, that fuels BlackRock’s investment management process is complete, accurate, timely and effectively controlled. The group provides services which include, but are not limited to: trade processing, transition services, asset servicing, market and derivative documentation, reconciliation, movement of margin and collateral. The group is both large and global, with over 600 staff in over 10 locations worldwide. The decisions the firm makes every day on behalf of their clients are informed and enabled by the activity that GIO manages and provides. In this sense, they are at the heart of everything BlackRock does.
Client Invoicing Services (CIS) are responsible for setting up and maintaining billing records for approximately 2,500 separately managed clients with a revenue value of over £90 million per quarter. Client Invoicing Services primary responsibility is the accurate and timely production, issuance and collection of Management and Performance Fees for BlackRock clients.
- Experience in the Financial Service industry preferred
- Consistent track record of “making things happen” and being results-oriented
- Proven track record of strong relationship management skills, with the ability to engage a broad network of colleagues to resolve issues
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills; including ability to adapt style, message approach and delivery based on audience preference, demonstrating that you are an effective partner
- A highly motivated and self-starter with experience in identifying & delivering continuous improvement
- Exemplary work ethics, ownership and accountability
- Flexible and enjoys working in a dynamic, global, diverse team.
BlackRock helps clients around the world with a range of products that include separate accounts, mutual funds, iShares® (exchange-traded funds), and other pooled investment vehicles. BlackRock also offers risk management, advisory and enterprise investment system and insurance accounting services to a broad base of institutional investors through BlackRock Solutions®. Their Edinburgh office has over 700 employees and supports the BlackRock business globally in many of these business lines. At September 30, 2017, BlackRock’s AUM was $6 trillion and the firm had approximately 13,500 employees in more than 30 countries and a major presence in global markets.
For additional information, please visit the Company’s website at www.blackrock.com; Twitter: @blackrock_news; Blog: www.blackrockblog.com; LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
Please apply with your CV and cover letter (with subject line Application for 2018 Returner Programme) to BlackRockWINEdinburgh@blackrock.com
For any specific queries for BlackRock please email BlackRockWINEdinburgh@blackrock.com
For any programme queries please email email@example.com
BlackRock is an equal opportunity employer. They evaluate qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.